Don't Rejoice In Your Power

10/09/2007

"Nevertheless, do not rejoice in this, that the spirits are subject to you, but rejoice that your names are written in heaven.”

If you’re a believer, you’ve got power. Jesus blesses believers with grace and gifts of the Holy Spirit. But we’re not to rejoice in power, gifts or success, we’re to rejoice in our salvation. Rejoice that God wrote your name in the Lamb’s book of life when he chose you in Christ in eternity past.
Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who has blessed us in Christ with every spiritual blessing in the heavenly places, even as he chose us in him before the foundation of the world, that we should be holy and blameless before him. Ephesians 1:4
God inscribed our names in his registry before the foundation of the world, before creating the heavens, before flinging the galaxies across the sky. He chose us in the misty eons of eternity past, long before angels existed. God chose us before we were born, or had done anything good or bad.

Incredibly, God wrote our names in heaven knowing we’d rebel and reject him, and nail his Son to the cross. He also elected us fully aware that even after he saved us we would still sin.

God didn’t set his love on us because of anything worthy or desirable in us. For we were only wicked and rebellious. We were all running as hard as we could, hell-bent toward destruction when God said, “I’ll save that one, and that one, and this one too.”

One of my favorite verses is Jeremiah 31:3: “I have loved you with an everlasting love; therefore I have continued my faithfulness to you.” For some reason found only in God he has loved us from all eternity.

This verse gives me great comfort. For if Jesus has loved me from all eternity, then he will continue his faithfulness and love toward me. He will love and keep me till the day I close my eyes in death. And when I open my eyes in heaven’s eternal morning, I’ll gaze upon the face of him who loved me with an everlasting love. And forever I will praise the One who wrote my name in heaven before I was born.

Does this encourage you? Take a moment and thank God for choosing you and saving you. Try to praise him throughout the day for loving you with an everlasting love.

Posted by Mark Altrogge at 8:00 AM  

2 comments:

It surprised me to read that we were chosen before angels existed. I wondered why God put us above angels when we are so rebellious and disobedient. I would have said, "OK fine. You're out."

Funny how a spark of understanding opens the eyes to a new way of thinking. Thank you Pastor Mark.

Anonymous said...
October 10, 2007 at 7:45 AM  

Yeah, I would have said, 'Fine, you're out' as well. Thanks for your comment!

Mark Altrogge said...
October 11, 2007 at 5:13 PM  

Post a Comment