My Friends Are So Awkward

2/08/2008

On most Friday mornings my alarm rips me out of my golden slumbers at approximately 6:03 A.M. I stumble out of bed, get dressed in complete darkness, and emerge from my bedroom wearing an outfit that makes it look as though a thumb-less monkey dressed me. I then make the sleepy drive over to Starbucks, where I meet several of the guys from my small group. We then spend the next ninety minutes asking each other painfully awkward questions, such as:

_Have you had any conflicts with your wife lately?
_Have you been diligent in your pursuit of the Lord?
_What has been your biggest struggle lately?

What would lead any sane person to take part in such a fun early-morning activity? The truth that godly friends ask tough questions.

Hebrews 3:13 says, " But exhort one another every day, as long as it is called "today," that none of you may be hardened by the deceitfulness of sin." Godly friends exhort one another to pursue godliness. They ask tough, awkward, probing questions that dig deep into the heart and expose sinful desires. Truly godly friends aren't afraid to get down and dirty.

Why do godly friends exhort each other? Why do my godly friends ask me tough questions about my struggles with sin? Because they care for me, and they don't want me to be hardened by the deceitfulness of sin.

Sin is deceitful, and many times we fail to see our sin accurately. For example, I recently confessed to the guys in my small group that I had been struggling with worry. Thanks to their insightful, and awkward questions, they were able to help me see that my sin went deeper than just worry. I was failing to trust God, and I was being self-sufficient. Their exhortation helped me to see my sin as it truly was. Godly friends help each other see their sin accurately by asking tough questions.

Are you a godly friend? Do you ask your friends about their struggles with sin? Do you exhort them towards godliness? On the flip side, do you invite your friends to ask you the awkward questions? Be a godly friend and ask the tough questions.

Posted by Stephen Altrogge at 8:00 AM  

4 comments:

I would be interested to see a list of those awkward questions. The three you posted are great. Are there others?

Anonymous said...
February 9, 2008 at 1:13 PM  

i was encouraged by the verse. it is so easy for me to find myself hardened. then my friends come along... ouch! ack! yuck!

had one of those conversations last night. i'm glad though, that the're not simply hard just for the sake of being hard, but that we need them to continually point us to Christ. Thanks!

Anonymous said...
February 10, 2008 at 6:47 AM  

Stephen,

We don't actually have a list of questions that we go through, but I'll try to think of some more examples and put them up.

February 10, 2008 at 7:54 AM  

Emily,

You're right, the questions aren't awkward just to be awkward. They're meant to expose our hearts and point us to the savior. Good point!

February 10, 2008 at 7:55 AM  

Post a Comment