Doing Vs. Loving

6/19/2007

I'm a doer not a lover. Yeah I know, it sounds like a cheesy lyric from a love song written in the 1970's, the kind of song that shows up on Time Life Compilation CD's. But unfortunately this statement is often true of my own life.

As I've continued reading Getting Things Done, I've realized that I often focus more on what I'm doing for God instead of how deeply I love God. If you're a Christian, you probably have a list of ways that you serve the Lord. Overseeing insane three-years olds in your church children's ministry, leading a small group, maintaining a website, blogging, visiting the elderly, you know the things I'm talking about. But God isn't primarily concerned with how much stuff we're doing in His name. He's much more concerned about the intensity of our love for Him.

The story of Mary and Martha is a wonderful example of this truth. Martha was serving like a mad-woman, scurrying about the house in an effort to put on the perfect meal for Jesus. Mary on the other hand was hanging out at Jesus' feet, delighting in every word that came from His lips. When Martha complained to Jesus about Mary's apparent lack of service, Jesus actually rebuffed her. He reminded her that loving the Lord is infinitely more important than doing things for the Lord.


Are you a Mary or a Martha? Do you take greater delight in spending time with the Lord or doing things for the Lord. I want to be like Mary.

Posted by Stephen Altrogge at 9:15 AM  

3 comments:

thanks for this, stephen

beth said...
June 19, 2007 at 11:59 AM  

I think that I'm a Mary but I could do with some Martha encouragement. Sometimes I find that I can spend hous reading or praying but when it comes time to actually step up and do something I retreat. This is partly from a selfish laziness. However, if this is the case then you would question how effective my 'Mary time' actually is. Ideally we should live as Marys and that should lead tobeing Marthas. Delighting in God will lead to delighting in his work. What do you think?

Dan said...
June 20, 2007 at 1:53 AM  

I agree dan. If we truly spend time with the Lord it should lead to us seeking to serve the Lord with all our energy. I think its a fine line that we need God's grace to walk.

June 20, 2007 at 12:20 PM  

Post a Comment