The God Who Gets Things Done

6/17/2007

I'm going on vacation this week and plan on reading the book Getting Things Done, by David R. Allen. This productivity oriented book has generated an almost cult-like following of people who walk around with lists in their pockets and categorize every to-do into a "Next Action", "Project", "Someday", "Waiting For", "If I Don't Max Out My Credit Card First", or "If My Wife Lets Me". I've read this book before, and as I read it I find myself caught between two healthy tensions:

1) Wanting to be more productive for the sake of Christ. Colossians 4:5 calls us to, "Conduct yourselves wisely toward outsiders, making the best use of the time." I want to spend my energies for the glory of Christ, not wasting my life on fruitless pursuits. In light of this, I desire to be more productive and "Get Things Done" for the glory of God.

2) Realizing that only God accomplishes all that's on his to-do list. In scripture we see that only God gets everything done. God is the only perfectly productive being in the universe. He never grows tired, never has a brain meltdown, never needs a thirty-minute power nap. As I seek to get things done, I want to acknowledge my absolute dependence on God for grace. And ultimately, Jesus Christ is the only man who ever got everything done. He's the Savior, the perfect man, the One who obeyed God even to death. Oh how I need the Savior.

If you've ever thought about trying to be more productive, let these two tensions inspire you to call out to God. You need his grace to live a life that makes the most of every moment, and you need his grace to get things done. Above all, you need the Savior.

Posted by Stephen Altrogge at 8:00 AM  

4 comments:

After you read that again can you read it for me (it just sits on my desk) and then can you run a few errands for me?

That was a really good post and call to action.

Aside: Remind me to ask you some questions about this blogging stuff when I am about done with the MDP late this comming winter. Or we could talk about it sooner and then I can forget everything and ask you again in February.

June 17, 2007 at 8:30 AM  
This comment has been removed by the author.
beth said...
June 17, 2007 at 9:25 PM  

really good, stephen...
"I want to acknowledge my absolute dependence on God for grace."
me too...
I'll be thinking about this (and what you wrote)
throughout this week...
thanks

beth said...
June 17, 2007 at 9:26 PM  

One of the things I love about David Allen's philosophy is that he encourages people to ask why they should do something instead of instinctively or reactively doing it.

Obviously, most people's motivation for doing something is going to be some form of self-fulfillment. As Christians though, we should be asking "why?" so that we can make the most of every opportunity and accomplish that which is going to bring God the most glory.

Many times we'll need to rely on prayer to get the answer and direction from the Holy Spirit, but asking "why?" will help to remind us that God is the one we're doing things for, not ourselves. Asking "why?" will help us align our priorities with God's and get things done for Him and His glory.

Unknown said...
June 18, 2007 at 12:53 AM  

Post a Comment