Altrogge Family Christmas

12/26/2007

What happens during the Altrogge family Christmas? Here's the inside scoop, including exclusive photos. We'll start on Christmas Eve and make our way to Christmas day.

Christmas Eve

_Jen and I woke up at the leisurely hour of 8:00 am. I, of course, immediately began making industrial strength coffee.

_While drinking our coffee, we read Psalm 103 together, which helped us to remember God's extraordinary kindness to us. We then spent time thanking God for all the ways He's blessed us.

_After devotional time was Boggle time. Jen and I love playing Boggle against each other on the computer. In one 3 minute round I set a world record, finding 48 words. I'm considering going pro. If you would like to sponsor me please email me.

_At one o'clock in the afternoon we went and saw a movie with my family, which is a longstanding Altrogge tradition. We saw the movie 'National Treasure 2: The Book of Secrets'. If you liked the first one, you might like this one, because they're exactly the same. Nicholas Cage solves more historical puzzles, gets chased by more blood-thirsty bad-guys, finds another really big treasure, and delivers his lines with all the personality of a piece of bark.

_Christmas Eve dinner was at my parents house, and let me say, it was one for the ages. We went a little non-traditional this year and had steak. Best decision my parents ever made. It might have been my favorite Christmas Eve dinner ever (except for the one we ate at McDonald's)

_Presents were exchanged between Altrogge family members. Jen and I made out like bandits. Highlight of the night: when my younger brother Jonny gave us his really nice digital camera.

Christmas Day:

_Woke at 8 am, made coffee. Instead of filling each other's stockings with candy, Jen and I gave each other letters this year.

_After the letters we moved in on the presents. Jen gave me a suh-weet hat that has lumberjack written all over it. She also gave me a book, a small accessory for my XBox, and a beautiful calendar filled with pictures she had taken of our family over the past year. I gave her some slippers, a Starbuck's mug, a new bag, and a Willow Tree figure. It was a great Christmas.

_We went over to Jen's parents for a fantabulous (a word meaning both fantastic and fabulous simultaneously) Christmas lunch, and some more wonderful gifts from her parents. Both of us have such generous parents!

All in all, it was a wonderful Christmas. Here's some pictures:





Posted by Stephen Altrogge at 8:00 AM  

8 comments:

Wow, I love that you gave each other letters instead of stockings. What a great idea. We have three small boys, and we fight the urge each year to buy more and more junk. This year, we had our simplest christmas yet, with each child receiving two small gifts, and doing a dutch auction (or white elephant) with the extended family, instead of buying each other gifts. It was so simple, and absolutely our best yet. I would love to incorporate your letter idea into next year's Christmas...maybe with the kids too. I love your devotionals and look forward to them each day.

laurel said...
December 26, 2007 at 11:33 AM  

Thanks for your encouragement laurel. I agree, it is tough to avoid buying more and more stuff each Christmas. I was glad that we did letters to each other...

December 26, 2007 at 12:11 PM  

it was so good to have you guys.
call us when you get home and come over
again...

Anonymous said...
December 26, 2007 at 12:45 PM  

That's pretty sweet. I got a Literary Study Bible and Canterbury Tales. I also have that hat - great for skiing and sledding.

Glad you discovered the awesomeness that is steak on Christmas Eve. That's been a Minich family tradition for as long as I can remember. (It was something my parents started.) Also, enjoy late Christmases while you can - Charis will eventually want to open presents at 3 AM.

Anonymous said...
December 26, 2007 at 1:22 PM  

Wow, a play by play....

Anonymous said...
December 28, 2007 at 4:40 PM  

Beth,

We had a great time. Charis is going to miss her auntie when you go to Philly!

Brando,

You're right, steaks are awesome. And no, we will never open presents at 3 AM

December 29, 2007 at 9:21 AM  

The hat is great. But here is a tip...I would avoid wearing it skiing though....good for sledding and shoveling snow....if you ski, not so sure it would be the ticket - you might want to aviod being beat-up.
Kara

Anonymous said...
December 29, 2007 at 2:42 PM  

Kara,

Thanks for the tip. I'll definitely avoid wearing it while skiing...

December 30, 2007 at 4:57 PM  

Post a Comment