Did God Forget my Mom?

12/07/2007

But God remembered Noah and all the beasts and all the livestock that were with him in the ark (Genesis 8:1).

It had been raining for 150 days and Noah & company were drifting on a featureless sea. For five dreary months they had been cooped up in the ark with no word from God. It must have seemed like an eternity. Noah must have wondered at times if God had forgotten them.


But God remembered Noah. Did God suddenly wake up with a start exclaiming, "Oh no! I can't believe it -- I forgot about Noah. I hope he's okay"? No. God hadn't forgotten about Noah for a nanosecond. But from Noah's perspective, after five long months, God now remembered him and came to his aid, sending a wind to dry up the waters.


Has God forgotten you?


Do you ever feel like you're on a tiny raft on a vast ocean and all the rescue crews have given up looking for you? Do you ever feel like you’ve dropped off God’s radar screen?

God has promised never to forget his blood-bought children. He's engraved us on his hands and written our names on his heart. He never slumbers nor sleeps as he watches over us. He knows our rising up and our lying down, our going out and coming in. He never leaves us or forsakes us. If we fly to the sunrise or sink in the sea, he'll be there. He can't forget us because we've been joined to Christ. When he looks at Christ he sees us. Oh yes, God remembers us.

God remembered Mom


The last 7 years of her life, Alzheimer's disease whittled away my mom’s memory and life. In the early stages Mom would say to me, “Mark, I just hope I never forget Jesus and I never forget my family.” I'd reply, “Mom, even if you forget Jesus, Jesus will never forget you. And even if you forget us, we will never forget you.” And Jesus did keep my Mom. She was joyful even as her mind deteriorated. She never became belligerent or depressed as many Alzheimer's sufferers do. As her mind gradually drained away, all that remained was the sweetness of who she'd become in Jesus Christ. Though Mom lost her ability to read and remember Scripture, though she eventually lost most of her memory of Jesus, Jesus never forgot Mom. He was with her till her final breath. How glorious it must have been the moment she awakened to see the face of her Savior. How glorious it must have been when all Mom's memories of Jesus and his work in her life came flooding back.


God remembered Noah. God remembered Mom. God remembers you.


Posted by Mark Altrogge at 8:00 AM  

14 comments:

All glory and honor goes to our covenant keeping God, who never forgets His promises!! Thanks for the post Mark. My wife's grandmother is in the final stages of Alzheimer's as well, and it can be a challenge not to grow discouraged when we go to visit.

Our hope is in the steadfast love of the Lord!

Ryan Rippee said...
December 7, 2007 at 12:39 AM  

Amen, Ryan, praise to our covenant keeping God! I pray our gracious Father will give you and your wife grace and will surround her grandmother with his loving arms.

Mark

Mark Altrogge said...
December 7, 2007 at 9:11 AM  

Mark and Stephen,

The Blazing Center is quickly becoming one of my very favorite blogs. I thank God he has given you both such rich insight and depth of heart and mind. I am so pleased that the depth of your music also translates into depth of writing. These are very precious grace gifts! Please continue sharing.

In Christ,
Lisa in NC

Anonymous said...
December 7, 2007 at 12:37 PM  

Lisa,

Thank you so much for your kind and encouraging words.

Mark

Mark Altrogge said...
December 7, 2007 at 12:46 PM  

Thanks for that word. My dad has had Alzheimers for 3.5 years and is now in a wheelchair, But by Gods grace he is still the very sweetest man I know, But some days are hard and with mom also having cancer some days are very wearisome, today was a day that felt like God had forgotton us, thank you for your reminder that His word proclaims otherwise - Thank you for you blog, I agree with Lisa, it is fast becoming a very dear favorite. Blessings to you both.

Deb

Anonymous said...
December 7, 2007 at 2:00 PM  

You'll never know how timely this encouraging word was today. This week we received another discouraging word on my mom's health. After so many years of bumps along this same line, I felt terribly alone and forgotten. Your word encourages me to remember that neither I nor my mom have been forgotten by Jesus. Thank you for sharing of yourself and of God's Word. Your encouraging words mean so much.

Anonymous said...
December 7, 2007 at 3:39 PM  

Deb,

I'm so sorry to hear about your Dad and Mom. That must be so hard for you.

I pray that the Lord will give your Dad and Mom great grace and mercy and will give you strength and encouragement. It was wearisome at times caring for my Mom - one thing that helped me was to try to remember all the ways she gave herself to me growing up. And without a doubt, I really needed the Lord's grace because I'm so selfish.

God has not forgotten you and will remember your every act of kindness in serving your parents.

Thanks for your kind encouragement.

Mark

Mark Altrogge said...
December 7, 2007 at 11:32 PM  

Trish,

I'm so sorry to hear about your Mom. It's really hard to see our parents suffer. I can relate. I pray the Lord will pour out his kindness on your Mom and on you. He is filled with compassion toward you and your Mom and has not forgotten you.

Thank you for your encouragement.

Mark

Mark Altrogge said...
December 7, 2007 at 11:39 PM  

I miss your mom. You know I was one of her favorites.

Anonymous said...
December 8, 2007 at 12:04 PM  

Yeah, Bo, you were one of her favorites. I think you still are.

Mark Altrogge said...
December 8, 2007 at 10:50 PM  

Thanks so much for you words Mark. My mom has been gone for more than sixteen years. It is so good to be reminded that she is now whole and healthy, praising the Lord. She went to sleep in an operating room and woke up in paradise. How grand that must have been. I get to missing her this time of year; your words will encouage me to rejoice in His care and love, and her joy complete. Thanks.
Sandy Kimmel

Sandy kimmel said...
December 9, 2007 at 10:17 PM  

My grandmother is one of the most humble, joyful people I've ever known, but she hasn't known me the last 3 or 4 times I saw her. We don't expect to have her around much longer. I'm so encouraged by your post. I can't imagine how absolutely amazing it will be when she opens her eyes and sees Jesus and her memory is flooded with how wonderful He is! Her favorite song is "Jesus Paid it All". For her sake I love even more this verse we don't sing much:
When from my dying bed
My ransomed soul shall rise
"Jesus died my soul to save"
Shall rend the vaulted skies

Dean said...
December 10, 2007 at 6:18 PM  

Hey Sandy,

Thanks for your comments. Yeah, I miss my Mom too. But it is so good to know our moms are before the throne healed and praising Jesus. We'll be seeing them pretty soon.

Mark

Mark Altrogge said...
December 10, 2007 at 11:53 PM  

Dean,

Praise God for your grandmother and that she knows the Lord. And what an awesome verse. Thanks!

Mark

Mark Altrogge said...
December 10, 2007 at 11:57 PM  

Post a Comment