The C.J. Mahaney Project

1/04/2008

C.J. Mahaney is one of my favorite preachers. In addition to being a phenomenal speaker, he is also a hilarious storyteller. In light of this, I recently downloaded all 70 C.J. Mahaney messages from the Sovereign Grace Ministries website in an effort to find the funniest of C.J.'s stories. I then hope to bring all the stories together into one simple location. Here's a story I found yesterday in a message entitled The Idol Factory.

You can listen to or download the story by clicking here.

UPDATE: I received this very insightful email from Bob Kauflin (who has worked very closely with C.J. for years) regarding C.J.'s use of humor in sermons.

Just saw your post on putting CJ’s funny stories together. What a great idea! I thought it might be helpful though if you emphasized that CJ isn’t just funny to be funny. He uses humor selectively to build rapport with those who are listening, humble himself, and especially to illustrate a particular point of the passage. He doesn’t use it as much as he used to so that his humor doesn’t detract from the text. I think those are important points that could help people understand WHY he chooses to use humor. Then the illustrations become a teaching tool. CJ’s use of humor also helps people apply truth to their lives and grow in their discernment. So different from the way humor is often used!

Excellent points indeed. Keep these in mind as you listen to C.J. tell hilarious stories.

Posted by Stephen Altrogge at 9:06 AM  

4 comments:

I'm always served by your blog, Stephen and Mark. Your humility, your thoughtfulness, as well as your intentionality and cross-centeredness are always a perfectly timed gift of grace to my soul.
I think a whole roll of CJ comedy is the best idea I've heard in a long time. Somehow I'm even convicted through his humor and blessed by his understanding of mercy and holiness and sin nature.
Stephen, I thought you might want to know that the "p" in "raspberry" is missing in the title of the mp3.
Thanks again, you guys, for following the precious Holy Spirit's lead with eagerness so prayerfully and humbly and Scripture-saturatedly.

Anonymous said...
January 9, 2008 at 8:13 AM  

Sarah,

Thanks for the encouragement and the spelling correction. I not speak good English anyway...

January 9, 2008 at 8:17 AM  

Stephen,
Maybe you should include the sermons C.J. preached at other Sovereign Grace churches and radio programs in your efforting.

I have collected as best I can his sermons from other churches.

KS said...
January 9, 2008 at 8:56 AM  

Paul,

Thanks for the heads up. I'll compare your list to my list and download the ones I don't have...

January 9, 2008 at 10:02 AM  

Post a Comment