Open Your Mouth

1/16/2008

My friends Tony and Maria adopted an orphan named Saah from Liberia this past July*. Saah had a head injury and a disabled hand. To adopt him, Tony and Maria had to pay thousands of dollars, and Tony had to fly to Liberia and stay for 2-1/2 weeks at the orphanage with him, then fight with the authorities who were refusing to let Saah leave the country. Finally, Tony and the child were able to fly back to the United States.

Saah is 14 years old, but has not enjoyed the advantages of an education, and cultural differences have made his adjustment incredibly challenging. For weeks after their return, Tony and Maria have worked with Saah hours a day just to be able to teach him things we take for granted such as the difference between a penny, a nickel, and a dime. They've taken him to countless physical therapy and doctors’ appointments and stayed in the hospital when he had surgery on his head. All this is just the tip of the iceberg of the huge investment Tony and Maria have made in Saah.

After all Tony and Maria have done for him, how do you think it would make them feel if Saah doubted their love? How would they feel if Saah didn’t believe they’d buy him shoes or give him lunch money?


The people of Israel continually doubted God’s faithfulness and goodness, despite all he'd done for them. So God tells them in Psalm 81:10, "
I am the Lord your God, who brought you up out of the land of Egypt. Open your mouth wide, and I will fill it." In other words, “Israel, have you forgotten who I am and all I've done for you? I’m the one who smacked down Pharaoh and brought mighty Egypt to its knees. I snatched you out of slavery with a mighty hand. Do you think I'd do all that then fail to give you bread? Open your mouth wide and I will fill it."

We too should have faith that if God went to the extreme lengths of sending and crushing his only Son to bring us out of our slavery, will he not give us his Spirit? Won't he give us groceries or a car or wisdom or strength? Will he not help us change? Will he not fill us with his joy and gladness? Open your mouth wide - in prayer and in faith. Ask your gracious and loving Heavenly Father for your daily bread. He is glorified in displaying his goodness to us.

*Tony and Maria gave me permission to share this

Posted by Mark Altrogge at 8:00 AM  

2 comments:

Mark,

thank you once again for your blog. I now have read through this post 3 times this morning and have been greatly refreshed through it. The first time I was practically in tears - recounting the amazing faithfulness of our God.

Seeing your question "will He not help us change?" through the eyes of your friends helping their son has presented this verse in a new light for me. Of course they will help him! Of course they love him and will take all steps necessary to provide the best for their sweet son. What an amazing example of our Heavenly Father's undying love for us. What faith that builds in my sin-filled, weak, downcast heart.

If Tony and Maria as humans know how to give good gifts to Saah, their son, HOW MUCH MORE will my Heavenly Father do the same. They don't come to him with expectations of "figure out what these coins mean, or else..."

And my sweet Savior is the same. He only demands from me an empty cup for His all-sufficiency to fill, not a 20 step plan of how I'm going to change in my own ability.

I am very grateful that you shared about your friends - this story has been (and I'm sure will continue to be) extremely faith building in my life. Please pass along my thanks to Tony and Maria for modelling the sacrifice, patience and compassion of our Father.

Anonymous said...
January 16, 2008 at 11:03 AM  

Thanks Emily, for your comments.

I will pass them along to Tony and Maria and I know they will be encouraged by them.

Tony and Maria truly are glorifying our Lord in their outpouring of love and sacrifice to their son. I want to be like them.

Mark

Mark Altrogge said...
January 16, 2008 at 12:48 PM  

Post a Comment