God Loves You, But Does He Like You?

1/09/2008

Have you ever wondered if God really likes you? Because you're a John 3:16-believing Christian you know that God loves you, but does he like you? We all have people in our lives that we "love" but that we struggle to like. You know the sort I'm talking about. Maybe it's that relative who always has horrendous breath and insists on carrying on a conversation six inches from your face. Maybe it's that person in the church who feels compelled to offer "constructive criticism" on everything you do. Maybe it's a young punk in the church like me who likes to listen to their music at ear-bleeding decibel levels. All of us have people that we love as Christians, yet struggle to like.

At times we often wonder if God feels the same way about us. Of course we know he loves us, because, after all, God is love. But does he really like us? Does he enjoy it when we come to him in prayer? Is he really glad that he saved us? Or does he just put up with us?

Zephaniah 3:17 speaks very clearly to this. It says, "The LORD your God is in your midst, a mighty one who will save; he will rejoice over you with gladness; he will quiet you by his love; he will exult over you with loud singing." Do you realize that God is singing over you? He so delights in you, so loves, so "likes" you, that he's singing a song over you. God is singing a loud, joyful, cheerful, happy song over you. God doesn't just tolerate you, he REJOICES over you! He's glad that he saved you. The moment you came to Christ, all of heaven burst into celebration.

God loves you, and he likes you. Why does God love you? Because he sees you clothed in the perfect righteousness of Jesus Christ. When God looks at you, he doesn't see your sinful wickedness, he sees Jesus' righteousness. And when he sees you wrapped in these robes of righteousness, it causes him to sing.

As you go about your day, remember that there's a soundtrack to your life. God is loudly singing over you because he loves you - and he also likes you.

Posted by Stephen Altrogge at 8:00 AM  

7 comments:

What a positive, wonderful way to start my day! Thank you for this post!

January 9, 2008 at 8:57 AM  

That is encouraging Stephen. I have had that thought before, "I know God loves me but I'm sure I get on His nerves." (haha). I'll be thinking of God singing over me because of His Son today. What wonderful idea, Him singing a soundtrack over me. Thanks Stephen!

Trillia said...
January 9, 2008 at 10:43 AM  

Becky,

I'm glad you were encouraged this morning. I hope you are aware of God's grace today.

Trillia,

Yeah, sometimes I feel like I get on God's nerves too. It's so good to know that he really and truly loves me...

January 9, 2008 at 1:04 PM  

Thanks Stephen for this post, Thanks also for the encouragement to listen to CJ's msg on Enjoying God's Grace - That was a very helpful msg and enabled me to refocus my gaze.

God Bless

Anonymous said...
January 9, 2008 at 1:16 PM  

Praise the LORD; God is crazy about us. Last year i preached at church and i was talking about God's jealously. God is crazy about our kids, even the ones we're not so crazy on.
Nice job.

Youngblood said...
January 9, 2008 at 2:55 PM  

Deb,

I'm glad the message was helpful for you. CJ is one of my favorite preachers, and one of the most encouraging.

January 9, 2008 at 4:37 PM  

Ben,

You're right, God really does love kids, even the ones we don't feel so crazy about...

January 9, 2008 at 4:37 PM  

Post a Comment