5 Tips For Better Blog Reading

8/24/2007

As a follow up to yesterday's post, here are a few practical tips for better blog reading.

Clean Out Your Reader
If you're like me, you blog reader can become obscenely cluttered. I see a blog that looks mildly interesting, click on the 'subscribe' button, and "bang" (it really makes that noise) it shows up in my feed reader. The result? I end up with information overload. I'm forced to skim lots of blogs without really getting anything out of any of them. If this describes you, do a purge on your blog reader so that you're only focusing on blogs that are important to you. Currently my blog reader contains ten feeds, which is very manageable for me.

Do Some Real Reading
The tendency with blog reading is to skim, which isn't necessarily a bad thing. However, if blog reading is to have any real value in our life, we need to do some real reading. Find one or two well written, God-centered, Christ-exalting blogs and read them faithfully every day. For me this looks like reading Al Mohler's blog every day. Other possibilities: Challies, Between Two Worlds, Desiring God, Josh Harris.

Do Some Skim Reading
Okay, I know this sounds like I'm contradicting myself, but there is a place for skim reading blogs. I can do a quick skim of the blogs that really matter to me to see if there is anything that I should stop and read. And of course some blogs lend themselves to this more than others. For example, I subscribe to a number of 'productivity' blogs. It's easy to scan these for any useful information.

Subscribe To One Secular Blog
There are a number of blogs written by non-Christians that are a means of common grace to me. As I mentioned, I like reading blogs that focus on productivity. Most of these blogs aren't written by Christians, and yet by reading them I've gained some great ideas on how I can be more effective in serving the Lord. Using discernment, find one secular blog that you think will motivate or inspire you. Examples: Lifehacker, Life Remix (Note: I don't endorse all the content on these sites)

Take Everything With A Grain Of Salt
The blogosphere is full of opinions and ideas. Some are good, some are terrible, and some are heretical. Before you read a blog, read your Bible. By doing this you'll gain discernment, which will help you navigate the murky waters of the blogosphere.

These are just my opinions on blog reading. I hope you find them helpful...

Posted by Stephen Altrogge at 8:00 AM  

1 comments:

alright - if you're talking about my feed...

miss you guys

Anonymous said...
August 26, 2007 at 9:14 AM  

Post a Comment