5 Symptoms Of A Proud Heart

8/31/2007

  • You get defensive at the first sign of criticism or correction. Proverbs 13:1 says, "A wise son hears his father's instruction, but a scoffer does not listen to rebuke." A humble man eagerly receives rebuke, correction, and criticism. I on the other hand, am quick to be defensive. What about you? When you receive correction from others at work, or at church, or in the family, how do you respond?
  • You are quick to speak and slow to listen. Proverbs 18:2 says, "A fool takes no pleasure in understanding, but only in expressing his opinion." I'm often not interested in others or what others have to say, but only in voicing my own opinion. The humble person on the other hand, is slow to speak and eager to hear the input and wisdom of others. When you're with other people, are you quick to voice your own opinion, or are you eager to hear the opinions of others?
  • You're convinced that you're always right. Proverbs 12:15 says, "The way of a fool is right in his own eyes, but a wise man listens to advice." I'm very proud, which in turn causes me to be certain that I'm right in all situations, at all times. The humble person is keenly aware of their blind spots, and aware that they could be wrong. When a debate arises, are you convinced that your way is the right way?
  • You're quick to criticize and slow to encourage. I'm aware of people's deficiencies and unaware of God's grace at work in people's lives. The result? Much criticism and little encouragement. The humble person however can identify with Paul when he said, "The saying is trustworthy and deserving of full acceptance, that Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners, of whom I am the foremost." (1 Tim 1:15) Are you more aware of people's faults or the grace of God at work in their life?
  • You become overwhelmed when life gets chaotic. When life gets chaotic and I'm loaded down with responsibilities, I can be easily overwhelmed. Why? Because I'm self-sufficient. In my pride, I rely on my own strength to carry out my plans. However, when things get chaotic, I get anxious. The humble person depends on God to carry out and execute plans, and thus experiences God's peace.
I'm a proud man in desperate need of a Savior. How grateful I am that Christ died for my wicked arrogance.

Posted by Stephen Altrogge at 8:00 AM  

4 comments:

Great stuff and right in the neighborhood of what I've been studying recently.

Thanks!

GUNNY said...
September 1, 2007 at 5:12 AM  

Gunny,

Thanks for your encouragement. I always find that the issue of pride and humility hits me hard!

Stephen

September 1, 2007 at 10:45 AM  

This is so convicting, is it alright if I print this out for my own use?


P.S. thanks for your heart changing, truth telling blog!

Kandi said...
September 1, 2007 at 12:30 PM  

Kandi,

I'm deeply grateful for your encouragement. Please feel free to print it out and use it as you please!

Stephen

September 1, 2007 at 5:11 PM  

Post a Comment