Humility Tips From C.J. Mahaney

9/01/2007

Taken from his excellent book "Humility", here are several practical suggestions as to how we might daily grow in humility.

  • Reflect On The Wonder Of The Cross - C.J. quotes Martyn Lloyd Jones who says:
There is only one thing I know that crushes me to the ground and humiliates me to the dust, and that is to look at the Son of God, and especially to contemplate the cross.
  • Begin Your Day Acknowledging Your Need For God - C.J. says:
Purpose by grace that your first thought of the day will be an expression of your dependence on God, your need for God, and your confidence in God.
  • Begin Your Day Expressing Gratitude To God - C.J. says:
Let each of us recognize every day that whatever grace we receive from God is so much more than we're worthy of, and indescribably better than the hell we all deserve.
  • Practice Spiritual Disciplines - He says:
I've found that it's possible for me to charge into my day motivated by self-sufficiency. But I've also learned that the very act of opening my Bible to read and turning my heart and mind to prayer makes a statement that I need God.
  • Seize Your Commute - C.J. encourages us:
For many of us, our commute is wasted every day. You can either get into mental ruts during this time, or seize your commute time as a means of grace to allow Scripture to transform your thinking.
  • Casting Your Cares Upon Him - He says:
Where there's worry, where there's anxiety, pride is at the root of it. When I am experiencing anxiety, the root issue is that I'm trying to be self-sufficient. I'm acting independent of God.

Posted by Stephen Altrogge at 10:50 AM  

1 comments:

That #1 has been huge for me and helps me with all the others.

Thanks for sharing all this good stuff, brother!

GUNNY said...
September 1, 2007 at 1:34 PM  

Post a Comment