On Tuesday A Miracle Will Happen

9/03/2007

On Tuesday, September 4th, a miracle will happen: a new baby girl will enter the world. This miracle will be named 'Charis', which is the Greek word for 'Grace', and this miracle will bring much joy to her father and mother. And the sweetest news of all, is that this little miracle will be my daughter!

How do I know that Charis will be born on September 4th? Because in His kindness, God has given men the wisdom to invent a device that allows doctors to perform a sonogram and actually look at a baby before it's born. Our most recent sonogram showed that little Charis was comfortably settled on her side, making it impossible for her to be born naturally. Oh how grateful to God I am for sonograms! Had Charis been born 100 years ago, it's likely that both she and my wife Jen would have died during labor. But in His kindness, the Lord permitted the invention of the sonogram, and so I will be enjoy a birthday rather than a double funeral.

Because Charis is sideways, she will be removed from the womb via Cesarean Section. Oh the wisdom God has given to men! In the space of a few brief minutes, an incision will be made and Charis will be lifted from the womb, thoroughly cleaned, and then placed into my arms. I'm so grateful that God gave Mr. Cesarean (if that was his name) the wisdom to invent this baby-delivery procedure. If the C-Section had not been invented I would likely be experiencing grief instead of joy on Tuesday.

Jen and I are both nervous. We're entering new and uncharted territory. But we serve the God who invented sonograms and C-Sections, and I'm confident that He will care for us each step of the way. I'm not sure how much I'll be blogging this week. Maybe if I have some down time I'll put up a post. Please pray for Jen and me. Thanks!

Posted by Stephen Altrogge at 8:28 AM  

5 comments:

Hey! Tomorrow is going to be the best day of your lives! Kids are a blast. Parents do goofy things they wouldn't do if they didn't have kids, then explain to other adults, "Hey, I do it for the kids."

C-Section compared to regular delivery is like a gentle breeze to a hurricane. Thanks to Mr. Epidural.

Thanks to God for all the peace, protection, joy and delight you will receive tomorrow and many years to follow.

Anonymous said...
September 3, 2007 at 10:05 AM  

Congratulations! Your story sounds so familiar - I have a c-section coming up on Oct 3 to deliver our 5th baby and if it weren't for the God-given wisdom of surgeons, neither I nor any of our children would be alive today. This will be my fourth section...I am thankful to have an OB who sees no reason for me to let my need to have a c-section each time to limit our family size. He's done up to 7 on one woman!!! God is so gracious to us.

Melanie said...
September 3, 2007 at 7:23 PM  

Melanie,

I agree, God is so kind! Right now I'm enjoying His blessing!

September 4, 2007 at 5:49 PM  

S&J, I have thought often how merciful it is of God to give us medical procedures like c-sections as I have thought of you guys the past few days! Brought tears to my eyes reading your entry here because you put into words what could be our reality had this operation not been invented and perfected. Praise God for giving us so many mercies in this life! Can't WAIT to meet Charis.
Sara B.

Anonymous said...
September 6, 2007 at 10:17 AM  

Thanks Sara! We can't wait to bring her home...

September 6, 2007 at 1:38 PM  

Post a Comment