Liveblogging A Baby: Burnout Time

9/07/2007

I've come to the point where my brain has stopped working. After three (or is it four?) consecutive nights of little sleep, my mind no longer is functioning properly. It takes me longer to process simple thoughts, and with every decision, my mind feels like it's wading through molasses. I just want to go home and sleep for a couple of weeks. Unfortunately, I don't think I'll be getting much more sleep in the days to come.

We were planning on going home this morning until we realized that the pounding headache that has plagued Jen for the past three days was not due to a lack of caffeine, but the spinal she had before the c-section. So right now they're treating her for the headache by pumping lots of fluids into her and giving her a heavy-duty dose of caffeine, equivalent to ten cups of coffee. Even Starbucks can't match that. Hopefully we'll be home by this evening.

This morning I read in Philippians 4:11-13 where Paul says:
Not that I am speaking of being in need, for I have learned in whatever situation I am to be content. I know how to be brought low, and I know how to abound. In any and every circumstance, I have learned the secret of facing plenty and hunger, abundance and need. I can do all things through him who strengthens me.
Oh how I long to be like Paul, content in every situation. Content when I sleep, content when I don't sleep. Content to serve Jen as she recovers from the c-section, content to take care of my baby during the late watches of the night, content to stay in the hospital as long as necessary. Content when Charis is healthy, content when she's sick. Content at all times. But I need the strength of Christ to help me be content.

Join me today in asking Christ to help you be content in all situations. God wants you to be able to be content in all circumstances, but apart from Christ, that's impossible. So let's seek out Christ in every moment, asking for the grace to be content in every situation.

I'm off to the hospital again, wish me contentment!

Posted by Stephen Altrogge at 2:23 PM  

0 comments:

Post a Comment