Liveblogging A Baby: I've Never Felt Such Love

9/05/2007

Certain truths take on an entirely new dimension when a baby enters your life. 1 John 3:2 says, " Beloved, we are God's children now..." Before yesterday I knew what this scripture meant, at least in my head. Now I feel the intensity of this truth like I never have before.

Every time I hold my new baby, and intense, protective, fatherly affection rises in my heart. I treasure my new little girl, delight in her, can't wait to see her. Being woken up at 3 a.m. to help my wife feed her isn't drudgery, it's pure delight. I would do anything for this little girl. More than anything, I love this little girl with an intensity that is impossible to explain. She's never done a single thing for me, and yet I love her so very deeply. I love feeling her little fingers, and looking at her little eyes, and kissing her tiny head. Why? Because she is my child.

Friends, this is how our Father in heaven feels about us. He purchased us with the precious blood of Christ, and now He loves us with a fierce, passionate love. He delights in us, rejoices in us, even sings over us. He wants us to enter His presence. But there's one big difference between my love for Charis and God's love for us. Charis never hated me. She never rejected me, she never went her own way. We on the other hand, hated God. We despised Him, and wanted absolutely nothing to do with Him. Yet He saved us, and now He calls us His children. Such love is simply amazing! How can we fathom such affection?

Let your heart rejoice in the love of God your Father, for today He is rejoicing over you.

Posted by Stephen Altrogge at 5:05 PM  

4 comments:

i know i saw you yesterday
but i miss you already

Anonymous said...
September 6, 2007 at 12:17 AM  

i've been waiting for all my children to discover this wonder. nothing speaks to our hearts, outside of Scripture, of the specific and intentional love of our Father towards His little ones than having one of your own. i'm so happy for you; for being able to experience this love beyond reason and for this incredible gift of love from the Father to you.

kanns

Anonymous said...
September 6, 2007 at 10:19 AM  

Stephen,

Congratulations.

She looks nothing like you. She's really cute.

-Phil Kim

Anonymous said...
September 6, 2007 at 10:20 PM  

phil - she has his nose.
wait till you see her in person.

Anonymous said...
September 7, 2007 at 2:15 AM  

Post a Comment