Coldplay and the Cross

8/07/2007

In the summer of 2005 I saw the band Coldplay in concert, and it was the best concert I've ever seen. Coldplay is not a Christian band, and I don't endorse all their lyrics, but I love their music. God has given Chris Martin (lead singer, songwriter) the gift of melody and song. He has given Chris the ability to combine notes in ways that stir my heart and grip my emotions. Listening to Coldplay brings me much pleasure and serves as an inspiration for my songwriting as well. And listening to Coldplay is an opportunity for me to thank God for the glorious gift of music.

Friends, music is a gift from our extravagantly lavish God. Think of how music affects your life. When you hear a good song, you hum along, you bob your head, and you drum the beat on your steering wheel. You lift your voice in loud song as you accompany whatever music you are listening to at the time. A beautiful melody fills you with joy, a driving beat energizes you, a simple melody makes you smile.

Music connects us with other people. We love to talk about our favorite bands, to play music together, to go to concerts together, and in some cases, to do karaoke together. In church we sing our praises to God together with the other members of our church.

Our culture is obsessed with music. We listen to music on our iPod, our cell phone, our satellite radio, our internet radio, and our good old-fashioned radio. Yet how often do we give thanks to God for the gift of music? I honestly can't remember the last time I thanked God for the pleasure of listening to Coldplay, or David Crowder, or Mozart, or Matt Redman. God has been so kind to give me music, yet I thank Him so infrequently for that gift.

Friends, let us resolve to thank God for the gift of music. The next time you pop in your headphones, pause for a moment and lift thanks to the Giver of music. Rejoice in the gift of music and lift praise to the Author of all music.

Posted by Stephen Altrogge at 9:18 AM  

1 comments:

listening to your album on jonny's nano tonight...
just like every night...

Anonymous said...
August 8, 2007 at 2:57 AM  

Post a Comment