He Rules The World...Wide Web

8/10/2007

As of July 13th, 2007, I have sent 269 emails. Some of them were profound, some of them were profoundly stupid. Through these emails I was able to encourage people, maintain friendships, mock close friends, tell my wife I love her, and communicate messages to large groups of people. I love email. I'm so grateful for it, and I honestly am not quite sure how I functioned without it. Did I ever get anything of value accomplished before email? Possibly, but not likely. Yes, I realize some of you despise email and would rather have major surgery than check your email, but not me. I love it.

Ponder for a moment the incredible blessing of technology, and especially the Internet. Because of the Internet, I can listen to every sermon ever given by John Piper, read a blog written by Bob Kauflin, and find out what it means when it feels like my stomach is about to explode (via WebMD). I can communicate quickly and efficiently via email, do international phone calls for free with Skype, and send pictures to my family. I can put money into my bank account, pay off my credit card, and give money to the poor through organizations like World Vision.

Isn't God kind to give us the gift of technology? Friends, right now you are experiencing the gift of technology. God did not have to give us this gift. There are millions of people throughout the world who don't have access to email or the internet, and in turn don't have access to the wonderful resources that we do. But we serve an extravagantly generous God, who, because of the cross, is eager to pour out blessings on us.

As you surf the web, or check your email, or read blogs, or edit digital photos, give thanks to the Lord for the wonderful gift of technology. Thank Him for giving you access to thousands of outstanding Christian resources via the web. Thank Him for giving you the convenience of sending email and the pleasure of reading the news online. We serve a kind God. Let us give thanks.

Posted by Stephen Altrogge at 8:00 AM  

2 comments:

Stephen: I have a hard time believing you have sent only 269 e-mails. Didn't you send out Jack Handey's "Deep Thoughts" daily to everyone that breathed for at least a year? This total has to be from whenever you switched to your current address.

You are a much bigger geek than 269 emails.

Anonymous said...
August 12, 2007 at 10:12 PM  

Brando,

I sent 269 emails, but I didn't say how many people those emails went to...

August 13, 2007 at 6:22 PM  

Post a Comment