How To Catch God's Eye

8/29/2007

Certain things catch my eye. The word "free" always catches my eye. Advertisements for Apple's iPhone catch my eye. Headlines containing the words "Pittsburgh Steelers" cause me to look twice. A person cruising by on a bright and shiny scooter is sure to get a second look. My wife always catches my eye.

There are certain things that catch God's eye as well. Hear these words from Isaiah 66:1-2
Thus says the LORD: "Heaven is my throne, and the earth is my footstool; what is the house that you would build for me, and what is the place of my rest? All these things my hand has made, and so all these things came to be, declares the LORD. But this is the one to whom I will look: he who is humble and contrite in spirit and trembles at my word.
What is it that catches God's eye? What is He drawn to and attracted by? It's not the most talented person, or the person with the highest GPA, or the most gifted worship leader, or the most talented athlete. God is drawn to the person who is humble, contrite, and trembles at His word. Do you see the significance of this passage? If we want to experience the grace of God we must passionately pursue a humble and contrite spirit.

What does this look like practically? How do we obtain a humble and contrite spirit? By trembling at God's word. The humble man knows that every time he reads his Bible, he is reading the sacred word of the living God. The humble man trembles at God's word by reading it regularly and acknowledging his desperate need for it. The humble man trembles at God's word by paying close attention to it and seeking to apply it to every area of his life. The humble man trembles at God's word by seeking to obey it rather than argue with it. The humble man trembles at God's word by loving God's word.

Do you tremble at God's word? Do you read it regularly, acknowledge your desperate need for it, and seek to obey it at all costs? Let us resolve today that we will seek to tremble at God's word. In doing so we will catch God's eye.

Posted by Stephen Altrogge at 5:18 PM  

0 comments:

Post a Comment