The Money's in the Bank

11/06/2007

My son David is launching a video production company. My father graciously offered to loan him some money to buy a professional camera. The other day Dad called and said, “I’m having the money transferred from an investment into my bank account. The money will be in the bank in two days. Tell David he can order his camera.”

In two days, David will make his order. Why? Because the money’s in the bank. How does he know? He may not feel like it's there. He can’t see it. He won’t drive to the bank and demand to check the vault. How can David really be sure the money’s there? Because my father gave him his word. David will order his camera based on the trustworthy word of my dad.

That’s how faith works. God gives his children many
“precious and very great promises” in Christ (2 Peter 1:4). Jesus purchased all the promises of the covenant for us on the cross. Because God is trustworthy and doesn’t lie, we know these promises will come to pass. God is good for his word. We may not feel it or see it, but the money’s in the bank. God said it would be.

Numbers 23:19 says, “God is not man, that he should lie, or a son of man, that he should change his mind. Has he said, and will he not do it? Or has he spoken, and will he not fulfill it?”


What a great verse. God is not a human who might lie. He is Truth itself. He cannot lie, has never lied. He’s not fickle like men can be. He never changes his mind, never makes rash vows he might not keep. He never makes a pledge then takes it back.


Before becoming a Christian I called in a pledge to a Jerry Lewis telethon, then never sent in a single dollar. But even as a Christian I’ve made promises at times and not fulfilled them. A couple weeks ago, I made an appointment for breakfast with a friend, then forgot to go.


The problem with my promises is that I’m a man. Though I try to be a man of my word, not only am I forgetful, but I’m not perfectly wise. And I don’t know the future - I can’t guarantee I’ll be able to do what I say. God, however, is infinitely wise and powerful. He never makes a pledge he can’t fulfill. When God says he’ll do something he's good for his word - utterly, infinitely, perfectly good for his word. The money’s in the bank.


For over 30 years, I have found the Lord to be trustworthy.
I’ve seen him fulfill hundreds of his promises in my life. I’m still praying, waiting and trusting for many others. But this I know - if God said it, the money’s in the bank. Why not give thanks to your heavenly Father right now for his gracious promises and his faithfulness in your life. And give glory to Jesus, who purchased all God's promises for us by shedding his holy blood on the cross.

Posted by Mark Altrogge at 8:00 AM  

0 comments:

Post a Comment