Napoleon Dynamite and the Faithfulness of God

11/29/2007

There are certain things that I can't change about myself. I need a solid 7 hours of sleep each night if I'm going to function at a semi-conscious level during the day. I believe the Dallas Cowboys, New England Patriots, and New York Yankees are a result of the fall. I like drinking coffee that's strong enough to double as paint stripper. I thoroughly enjoy the movie "Napoleon Dynamite". I always fold my pizza in half, length-wise, before I eat it. I'm slightly obsessive compulsive when it comes to brushing my teeth. I will never wear a Josh Groban t-shirt, or purchase a Josh Groban album. I'm sorry, that's just the way I am, and I don't plan on changing any time soon.

But there are many things about myself that I want to change. I'm arrogant and proud. I share the gospel infrequently at best. I crave the approval of others. I'm selfish, lazy, and self-centered. I'm a sinner who needs to change.

The problem is, it often feels like I'm never going to change. My sin seems like a vast, unconquerable mountain, or a virus that simply can't be killed. When I find myself sinning in pride for the 327th time this week, I can be tempted to despair. "I'm never going to change," says my heart. "I'm doomed to struggle with this sin for the rest of my life. I'll never make progress."

It's at these moments that I need to passionately proclaim the truth to myself. In Philippians 1:6 we read, "And I am sure of this, that he who began a good work in you will bring it to completion at the day of Jesus Christ." What a sweet promise from God. I can be assured that I will be changed into the image of Jesus Christ, not because of anything I'm doing, but because God will finish the work He began in me. God isn't like us. He doesn't let His projects go unfinished. He is a master architect who always finishes what He starts. God will finish the good work He began in me. By His grace I will overcome my pride, and selfishness, and laziness.

We must take this promise and use it as a hammer to smash despair. When it seems like change is impossible, we must preach Philippians 1:6 to our souls. We cannot allow despair and discouragement to rule us. We must fight to believe this verse until we really, truly believe it. God is at work, changing us, shaping us, and conforming us to Christ.

What's one area of your life where it seems like you will never change? Take Philippians 1:6 and apply it to that area. God will change you! He will help you overcome your sin. Why? Because God always finishes His projects.

Posted by Stephen Altrogge at 8:00 AM  

2 comments:

Oh Preach it!! I love that scripture; no matter what, the word will always bring us hope. I feel better already, not that i am overlooking my mistakes or my sins, but i am better because i know i can do it, i can change, and i am expectant of a move of God in my life because of his word.
Praise Him
Ben

Youngblood said...
November 29, 2007 at 3:53 PM  

Ben,

Glad it was encouraging for you. It's so good to know that God will change us into His image, even when it seems like it's never going to happen.

November 30, 2007 at 8:18 AM  

Post a Comment