That Settles It

11/07/2007

Years ago, as a young Christian, I heard someone say, “If God said it, I believe it, that settles it.”

Actually, God’s Word is true whether we believe it or not. But this saying underscores an important truth. In order to enjoy all God’s promises that Christ has purchased for his children, we must believe them. And we must believe them even if everything around us screams the opposite.

Hebrews 4:2 says of the Israelites, “…the message they heard did not benefit them, because they were not united by faith with those who listened."

God gave the Israelites many promises, but instead of trusting God’s word, they looked at their circumstances and doubted, so they failed to receive the blessings. For example, God had told the Israelites to take the promised land. But when some of Moses’ spies reported the giant size of the locals, the Israelites despaired in unbelief. It is not enough to have God’s promises. We must unite them with faith.

Someone recently gave my friend Tom a shiny blue like-new SUV. Imagine if Tom and his generous friend had this conversation:

Friend: Tom, I’d like to give you my SUV, absolutely free, as a gift. It’s in great shape, gets great mileage. It’s in my garage at home, right now. All you have to do is come over and get it.

Tom:
That sure would be nice if it were true. But I’m not sure if I can believe you.

Friend:
What do you mean, “IF” you can believe me? Have I ever lied to you?

Tom:
No, but you see, the car might not really be in your garage.

Friend:
But I’m telling you it is. Trust me. Just come over and get it.

Tom:
Well, I can’t see it, so I don’t know if it really exists.

Friend: Good grief. I’ll give it to someone else.

We must mix God’s promises with faith, or they won’t benefit us. An unopened Bible on a coffee table doesn’t do anybody any good. An unopened medicine bottle won‘t help you when you‘re sick. You have to open it up and take it. The latest model vacuum sweeper won’t pick up a particle until you plug it into the wall.

“If God said it, I believe it, that settles it.” If God says there is no condemnation for those in Christ Jesus, then I believe it, whether I feel condemned or not. I’m not going to keep doubting. If God says he is a very present help in trouble, then I believe he’s here. If God says he’ll meet my all my needs according to his glorious riches in Christ then I believe it. If God promises that all my children will be taught by the Lord, then I believe it, even if they’re not yet following him.

Let us dig into God‘s word for his blood-bought promises. Le‘ts believe them because God‘s word is good. Let‘s pray, humbly asking God to do what he‘s promised. Not because we deserve them, but because he has graciously provided them in his Son. And let’s thank him in advance for doing what he’s said he’ll do.

Posted by Mark Altrogge at 8:00 AM  

1 comments:

Excellent post. I just came across it and it spoke to my situation perfectly. Praise God that his promises never fail!

Ian McNaught said...
December 5, 2007 at 4:38 AM  

Post a Comment