Tips For Ladies Watching Sports

11/15/2007

Okay ladies, we're right in the middle of football season, so here are some tips on things not to do when you're watching sports with your husband, boyfriend, or any person of the male gender for that matter.

- Do not say that you are rooting for a certain team because you like the color of their uniforms.

- Do not say the phrase, "Get the ball!" at any point...ever.

- It's not a good idea to attempt any conversation that goes deeper than, "Do you want more nachos?"

- When your husband's favorite team loses, it's not very helpful to say, "Well at least they tried hard."

- When you see a fan holding up a "D" and a picket fence, don't ask, "What's D-gate mean?"

- When one player tackles another player particularly hard, don't say, "That was mean!"

- When the opposing team loses, avoid expressing the fact that you "feel bad for them".

- When watching football, don't ask if anyone hit a home run.

If you follow these simple guidelines, you will serve the men in your life. Thank you.

Posted by Stephen Altrogge at 9:07 PM  

11 comments:

D-gate hits the interwebs!

I know exactly who that refers to.

Go Steelers!

Anonymous said...
November 15, 2007 at 10:42 PM  

Hi Stephen,
I know this is a lighthearted post, but have you seen this post on how to watch sport to the glory of God? http://www.irishcalvinist.com/?p=1020 I think his fourth point about the joys of watching football with your wife is food for thought. What do you think?

Anonymous said...
November 16, 2007 at 12:52 AM  

Kevin,

You're right, that is a great point that he makes! And like the Irish Calvinist, I too love watching sports with my wife. We love coming home from church on a Sunday afternoon and watching our Steelers trounce the opponent.

I should clarify, I encourage men to watch sports with their wives! Thanks for bringing this up...

November 16, 2007 at 8:41 AM  

Wow this is helpful. I just grew in appreciation for my husband's patience with me. I am very biased when it comes to uniform colors. The Ravens wear purple which is an unfortunate color because it doesn't match ANYTHING. Geesh.

Anonymous said...
November 16, 2007 at 9:14 AM  

laurie,

The first problem is that you like the Ravens (just kidding). And yes, their uniforms are an unfortunate color...

November 16, 2007 at 9:58 AM  

i don't see why you had to make this a blog post... you could have just come over and talked to me about it face to face...
and i only asked the fence question once...

Anonymous said...
November 16, 2007 at 11:03 AM  

I agree, purple goes with ZILCHO!

Jen said...
November 16, 2007 at 12:54 PM  

I have a disagreement with the accuracy of this post. Isn't it OK to say "Get the ball!" to the Steelers when the Steelers fumble? Or what about to the Steelers when the bad guys fumble? OK, and what about the Patriots - they should really "feel bad" about beating so many teams. By like, 500-3. It's just not fair. But that's just me.
Sara B.

Anonymous said...
November 19, 2007 at 9:31 PM  

Sara,

I'm going to have to have a serious talk with Justin...

November 19, 2007 at 10:34 PM  

My husband and I are sitting here reading this together because unfortunately for him all of that applied to me! Especially feeling bad for the opposing team when they lose. I think I'll stick to asking if he needs more nachos! Thankfully for me-my husband cherishes me and all my silliness. Fun post!

Trillia said...
November 20, 2007 at 9:19 PM  

Trillia,

There's always room to grow! It starts with finding out the name of the team that your husband likes...perhaps the Volunteers?

November 21, 2007 at 10:15 AM  

Post a Comment