Books For Every Christian - Theology

7/16/2007

Continuing with books that every Christian should read.

Bible Doctrine - Wayne Grudem, edited by Jeff Purswell
Do you desire to love God more, to have a deeper relationship with Him? You can't love God if you don't know Him, and this book is a wonderful tool to help you grow in your knowledge of God. In this book, Wayne Grudem seeks to help his readers develop a systematic theology, or in other words, a thoroughly Biblical view of God. Grudem seeks to determine what the entire Bible says about a massive number of subjects, including God's character, the doctrine of election, church government, apostolic leadership, the role of the Holy Spirit, and the end-times. This book is an absolute must-have for every Christian. When you have a question regarding the Bible, this is the place to go. You will be well served by this book.

Buy the book here.

Knowing God - J.I. Packer
Like Bible Doctrine, this book will help you grow in a deep, soul-satisfying knowledge of God. Here's a taste of Packer's brilliance:

What matters supremely, therefore, is not, in the last analysis, the fact that I know God, but the larger fact which underlies it - the fact the He knows me. I am graven on the palms of His hands. I am never out of His mind. All my knowledge of Him depends on His sustained initiative in knowing me. I know Him, because He first knew me, and continues to know me. He knows me as a friend, one who loves me; and there is no moment when His eye is off me, or His attention distracted from me, and no moment, therefore, when His care falters.
Buy the book here. Thanks to Justin Taylor for reminding me about this book.

Posted by Stephen Altrogge at 8:00 AM  

2 comments:

Mmm...good picks.

I also love Packer's Concise Theology because it's bite-sized and brimming with scripture references.

Anonymous said...
July 17, 2007 at 10:28 PM  

I agree, Packer is fantastic. I still need to read his book on prayer...

July 18, 2007 at 9:13 AM  

Post a Comment