My God, my God

7/02/2007

"And about the ninth hour Jesus cried out with a loud voice, saying, "Eli, Eli, lema sabachthani?" that is, "My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?" - Matthew 27:46

We tread on sacred ground as we read these verses. In these verses are housed deep theological mysteries and glorious truths that only God can make plain to us. May God open our eyes to the glory of Jesus Christ shining through the precious words of scripture. Let's look at this verse in detail.

My God, my God. These are the anguished words of broken intimacy. From eternity past, the Son of God had perfect, intimate fellowship with the Father and the Holy Spirit. Never has there been a closer, more delightful, more joyful relationship, than that of the Trinity. Father, Son, and Holy Spirit living and acting in perfect, loving harmony. Our relationships, wonderful as they may be, are marred and broken by sin. The most intimate relationships on Earth are but a faint glimpse of the fellowship that exists in the Trinity. Throughout His entire ministry on Earth, Jesus enjoyed perfect fellowship with the Father. Even when He was deserted by His closest friends, He could still say that God had not left Him.

But at the cross, Jesus was deserted. Without actually breaking the Trinity, God the Father hid His face from Jesus. The Father, who loved Jesus with the deepest passion, actually forsook His own son. Why did the Father do this? To save you and me. He forsook Jesus so that we might never be forsaken. Jesus cried out, "My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?", so that we might say, "My God, my God, You'll never forsake me."

Does anyone love you more than God? Do you need any more proof that God loves you wholeheartedly? At the cross we see the depths to which God went to save wicked sinners like us. How can we not praise Him? How can we not give Him our deepest devotion?

Lord, thank you that you will never leave me or forsake me! Thank you for looking away from Jesus that I might always be under Your gaze. Teach me of the cross. Keep me near the cross. Stir my heart with deep affection for You.

Posted by Stephen Altrogge at 9:38 AM  

0 comments:

Post a Comment