I'm Grateful There's No Dinosaurs

10/17/2007

Growing up, Thanksgiving was always a special day in my family. It began with the legendary "Cowboy Breakfast". To understand the Cowboy Breakfast you must first understand that my dad placed a strong emphasis on manners around the table. He taught me to chew with my mouth closed, to avoid biting my fork, and even to break my bread in half before buttering it, which I'm not sure is a real manner at all. To this day I'm grateful that I learned good manners. But during the Cowboy Breakfast, all manners went out the window. We ate with our fingers, belched passionately, and chewed with our jaws hanging wide open. We ate like cowboys, and we loved it.

There is one Thanksgiving that I remember particularly well, not because of the breakfast but because of what happened after breakfast. Dad brought us all together in the living room and told us that we were going to make a list of all the things we were grateful for, and for the next twenty minutes we rattled off one thing after another. Many items appeared on that two-page list, but one topped them all. At one point my brother David, who was only about 5 at the time, announced that he was grateful that dinosaurs didn't come into the house. I'm sure you can see why he was grateful. Nobody, especially me, wants a T-Rex hanging out in the house.

I want my life to be like that list. Recently I read Colossians 2:6-7 which says, "Therefore, as you received Christ Jesus the Lord, so walk in him, rooted and built up in him and established in the faith, just as you were taught, abounding in thanksgiving." The words "abounding in thanksgiving" arrested me. I have so much to be grateful for, and yet I'm not abounding in thanksgiving. In fact, I'm often abounding in complaining. But I want that to change. I want to be abounding, overflowing, and bursting with thanks. I want thanks to God to be the natural response to His many blessings. I want to abound in thanksgiving for the gospel, my salvation, my house, my food, my wife, my daughter, my job, this country, my health, and the thousands of other blessings that I've received. And so by God's grace, I will grow in thanksgiving, starting today.

Do you abound in thanksgiving? Does thanks to God flow from your lips on a regular basis? Take time today to give thanks to God for specific blessings. Thank Him for saving you and delivering you from your sins. Thank Him for the glorious gospel. Join with me today in being abundantly thankful!

Posted by Stephen Altrogge at 8:00 AM  

3 comments:

so, how can you connect the last post and this one?

Anonymous said...
October 17, 2007 at 11:20 PM  

They're not connected!

October 18, 2007 at 6:49 AM  

i know...
but i'm asking you
to make a connection.
there should be one.
right?

Anonymous said...
October 19, 2007 at 11:48 AM  

Post a Comment