Why I Practice Meditation

10/01/2007

I've discovered the secret to living a blessed life. After years of searching in every corner of the world, reading the writings of ancient mystics, and spending approximately two-thirds of my income on QVC, I've discovered the secret to being blessed. Actually, I've never done any of those things. I've never been outside North America, never read anything by a mystic, and never spent a dollar on QVC (although I would kill for George Foreman grill). I discovered the secret while laying on my bed, pondering the words of Psalm 1:1-2, which says:
Blessed is the man who walks not in the counsel of the wicked, nor stands in the way of sinners, nor sits in the seat of scoffers; but his delight is in the law of the LORD, and on his law he meditates day and night.
There it is, plain and simple, the secret to living a blessed life. If I want to be blessed, I must spend time meditating on the Word of God, so that I might apply God's word to my life. That's it, that's the secret. God has told us the secret to being blessed, and it's so gloriously simple it hurts.

There's a lot of people telling us how to live a blessed life. The world tells us that blessing is found in a good job, or lots of money, or a beach house, or three cars, or a good education, or in saving the environment, or in social justice, or in a thousand other things. But scripture is clear. Do you want to be blessed and experience the joy of knowing God Himself? Then meditating on God's word is essential. And we can't just do this once a month, or once a week on Sundays. The truth is, the more we meditate on God's word, the more blessing we'll experience.

What does it mean to meditate on God's word? It means to think about it, ponder it, roll it over in your mind, and try to apply it to every area of your life. It means taking each scripture and making every effort to understand and obey it.

Do I meditate on God's word day and night, as this Psalm calls me to do? No, but I want to. I want to experience God's blessing and joy. Do you want to experience that? Meditation is the key.

Posted by Stephen Altrogge at 8:00 AM  

0 comments:

Post a Comment