What To Do When You Cast Out A Demon

10/08/2007

Occasionally I take a walk in a cemetery located near our church building. Some of the tombstones date back to the Civil War and the Spanish American War. Some are so weathered and worn you can’t even make out the names. I’ve thought, That’s all that remains of that person’s life – a stone with the name wiped away. I’m glad God has written believers’ names where they can’t be wiped away.

In Luke 10:17, seventy-two disciples return pumped from a short-term mission trip, saying, “Lord, even the demons are subject to us in your name!”

Imagine one disciple interviewed by a sports reporter:
Reporter: “How did it feel today to be casting out those demons?”

Disciple: “It felt great man! You know those demons they were really tough, they didn’t want to come out of those people, but we came into their house to make a statement. We came in there real physical – we came to play. Every one of us gave a hundred and ten percent. Yeah, we’re lookin’ forward to the next time.”

Jesus responds: “I saw Satan fall like lightning from heaven. Behold, I have given you authority to tread on serpents and scorpions, and over all the power of the enemy, and nothing shall hurt you. Nevertheless, do not rejoice in this, that the spirits are subject to you…” Jesus says, “Yes, I’ve given you power over the enemy, but don’t rejoice in this.” Don’t be glad if you can cast out demons or heal the sick. Don’t rejoice if God has gifted you or blessed your ministry. Even unbelievers can do works of power: On that day many will say to me, ‘Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name, and cast out demons in your name, and do many mighty works in your name?’ And then will I declare to them, ‘I never knew you; depart from me, you workers of lawlessness.’ Mt. 7:22-23

Here’s what Jesus says we should be glad about: Nevertheless, do not rejoice in this, that the spirits are subject to you, but rejoice that your names are written in heaven.” If you have trusted in Christ, rejoice that your name is written in heaven. Not on some tombstone that will wear away. Not in some club’s membership book. Your name is written in the Lamb’s book of life, never to be erased, never to be forgotten. Rejoice that God has saved you from your sins and adopted you into his family. Now THAT is something to be glad about. Why don’t you take a couple minutes right now and thank your heavenly Father for writing your name in heaven and sending his Son to save you.

Posted by Mark Altrogge at 8:00 AM  

8 comments:

What a great encouragement this monday morning! God is my Father, and I have been reconciled through the finished work of my Lord and Savior Jesus Christ!!

Thanks brother,

Ryan

Anonymous said...
October 8, 2007 at 2:02 PM  

Hey Stephen,
Thanks for the good thoughts.
I recall wandering through that same cemetery a couple of years ago with my family! We needed to fill a half hour and, king of excitement that I am, I took them there.
It is a good lesson in the brevity of life and the eternality of "after-life" to peruse a place like that. Helps to focus the heart on what matters most.
Paul

Paul said...
October 9, 2007 at 9:20 AM  

Thanks for the encouragement Paul, but these were actually my dad's thoughts. Notice at the bottom that it was posted my Mark Altrogge. I'm sure he'll be encouraged...

October 9, 2007 at 11:40 AM  

Hey - that's not fair! When did you let Dad on this blog? Where have I been?!

Paul said...
October 10, 2007 at 2:47 PM  

Ryan, thanks for your encouraging comment! Mark

Mark Altrogge said...
October 11, 2007 at 5:15 PM  

Hey Paul,

Thanks for your comment! Stephen had a momentary lapse of judgment and somehow let me get on here.

I want you to know I admire you and others who have been so faithful at blogging for a long time. I hope I can imitate you.

Mark

Mark Altrogge said...
October 11, 2007 at 5:17 PM  

Brother Mark...
The one thing in this life I am absolutely sure you ought never do... is imitate me!

Paul said...
October 13, 2007 at 10:02 PM  

I know that this is off-topic for this specific post, but I'm VERY GLAD to see you both in the blog-o-sphere, and I just subscribed. So, when do you think C.J. will get a blog? ;-)

Anonymous said...
October 16, 2007 at 3:50 PM  

Post a Comment