Memories of Wickedness

10/30/2007

I'm not a handyman. When things break in my house I resort to one of two options: a) call somebody that knows how to fix it, or b) get out the duct tape. I recently repaired a kitchen drawer using approximately 812 feet of duct tape, but apparently I didn't use enough because the drawer broke again within a few days. So I did what any smart husband would do: I got more duct tape. But this time I also included a piece of cardboard to help support the drawer. The drawer is still in place, and I've instructed Jen to open it as if it contained a live hand grenade. The point is I don't do well with any sort of repair/construction work. But I do carry nails with me all the time. I carry them in my pocket. I carry the nails that pierced the hands of Christ.

I say the phrase "Jesus died for my sins," all the time. This is true, Christ died for all my sins. But I often forget that Christ died for very specific sins. Christ died for the arrogance and disrespect I showed my parents while growing up. He died for the fear of man that kept me from sharing the gospel with a friend. He died for the pride that kept me from listening to the wisdom of the other men on staff at the church. Jesus was crushed for the ungodly things I watched on television during my teenage years. Each of these sins was a nail in the hand of Christ, pinning Him to the cross. I carry the very nails of Christ in my pocket.

Isaiah 53:5 puts it this way, "But he was wounded for our transgressions; he was crushed for our iniquities; upon him was the chastisement that brought us peace, and with his stripes we are healed." Aren't you grateful that Christ was wounded for your transgressions? Aren't you thankful that each one of your many sins has been forgiven? Ponder your past for a moment and remember some of the specific sins that you committed. Christ died for each one of those sins. Can you hear the nails rattling around in your pockets?

Today, take time to reflect on your sinful past, but don't stay there. As you remember your many sins, remember the Savior who died for each one of those sins, and let your heart be filled with gratefulness for His glorious sacrifice.

Posted by Stephen Altrogge at 8:00 AM  

6 comments:

I am so grateful that God forgives my sin. He knows them by name - and shows me them the same. It's so easy to say "God forgive me my sins", so much harder to repent and say "God forgive me my sin of ____". But, He knows them before I see them, and loves me just the same.
I am so thankful for the privilege of confessing them, receiving His forgiveness and being cleansed of them. What an amazing gift Jesus gave us.
Thanks for the post. Glad I stumbled by.
Eunice

Anonymous said...
October 30, 2007 at 10:04 PM  

Isaiah 53

"remember the Savior who died for each one of those sins, and let your heart be filled with gratefulness for His glorious sacrifice"

thankyou

Anonymous said...
October 31, 2007 at 5:22 AM  

Eunice,

I'm the post was helpful for you. It is so good to be able to receive specific forgiveness for specific sins.

October 31, 2007 at 8:04 AM  

Beth,

Isaiah 53, what a great passage. What a wonderful savior we have.

October 31, 2007 at 8:05 AM  

Thanks for the word picture to help me get serious about dealing with sin. I quoted your blog on my blog. You can find it at:
http://widemargins.blogspot.com/2007/11/nailed.html Keep up the good work.

Mary said...
November 5, 2007 at 1:53 AM  

Mary,

I'm glad it was helpful for you, and thanks for quoting it on your blog!

November 5, 2007 at 9:26 AM  

Post a Comment