Sinful Math

10/29/2007

I'm twenty five years old. If I've only sinned once a day since I was three years old that means I've sinned 8,030 times. If I've sinned twice a day, I've sinned 16,060 times. That's a frightening thought. Assume for just a moment that these numbers are accurate. Over the last twenty two years, I've broken God's law over 16,000 times. I've rejected God's ways, spit in God's face, and rebelled against the King of the Universe more than 16,000 times. I've told God to go His own way, to stay out of my life more than 16,000 times. I, a puny, insignificant creature have shaken my fist at my Maker over 16,000 times. And here's the scary part: I sin far more than twice a day.

How many times a day do I sin? I sin in my thoughts, my words, and my deeds. I sin with a lustful look, a hurtful word, an angry response. I sin when I worry over finances, or become angry with a friend, or am impatient with my spouse. I sin when I doubt the goodness of God, and when I crave the approval of others. My sin isn't infinite, but it sure seems that way. It's a vast, black, vile mountain. Piled upon this mountain is year after year of wicked sin. Sins of commission and sins of omission. Sins of license and sins of legalism. Paul said in 1 Timothy 1:15, "The saying is trustworthy and deserving of full acceptance, that Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners, of whom I am the foremost." I think Paul had it wrong. I'm the foremost of sinners.

But O how sweet are the words of Isaiah 1:18, which says, "Come now, let us reason together, says the LORD: though your sins are like scarlet, they shall be as white as snow; though they are red like crimson, they shall become like wool." My sins are uncountable, more numerous than the stars of heaven, and every one accuses me, rightly condemning me to hell. But the sacrifice of Christ is greater still. When God Himself died upon the cross, every single one of my 16,000+ sins was paid for in full. The cross is the mighty hammer that destroys my mountain of sin. The blood of Jesus is a mighty river that carries away every single one of my sins, removing them as far as the east is from the west. I am a great sinner, but I have a greater Savior.

So today I will rejoice in the glorious sacrifice of Jesus Christ. I will rejoice that though my sins are many, He has washed me white as snow. Will you rejoice with me?

Posted by Stephen Altrogge at 8:00 AM  

2 comments:

You're wrong: I'm the chief of sinners. Praise God for our Great Savior!

Tree Newt said...
October 29, 2007 at 10:15 PM  

Tree newt,

I think all of us feel that way! That's why I'm so glad there's a savior...

October 30, 2007 at 6:47 AM  

Post a Comment